Friday, February 26, 2016

[Electric Boats] Re: Why gear reduction?

 

Sure, Daniel. It is a Baldor unit, C face input and output mounting, and the motor mounts directly onto the input end, the shaft going into it, with a key. The output end mounts right onto a C face motor mounting plate which you can buy or easily fabricate yourself with jigsaw, file, and drill, in 1/8" steel supported on the edges with angle iron. Bolt that right to your motor mount angle iron or I beams. Make sure you have plenty of adjustment range built into the mount, for alignment. Anyway, output shaft of the gearbox couples to prop shaft. 7/8" motor and gearbox shaft, 1" prop shaft. I used a split journal bearing as a bushing to make it fit the 1" prop shaft coupling. Easy Sneezy. My gearbox is a 2:1 and I dont remember what it cost, maybe about $450 or so. I think I purchased it from ElectricMotorSports, but it might have been ThunderstruckEV, not sure.

I am actually considering changing from the 2:1 to a 3:1 because finally I am getting some serious load on the motor with this new-to-me handmedown 14x10 3 blade fixed prop I just put on. I was only getting max 65a out of the 48v bank while running with the little 2 blade folding prop, now I am pulling about twice that at full throttle. My ammeter only goes up to 100a which is my motor's sustained current rating too. If I am not going to use that much power, I think i would rather increase the motor RPM for better cooling. Haven't decided yet. I still waiting for a slick calm day to do speed/power trials. I know I had every bit of hull speed on the short run from the yard back to my slip. Pulled a wake, for the very first time ever. Even the old Atomic wouldn't give me a wake. The force is with me, it seems.

Okay I found it at electricmotorsport. They seem to be out of the 2:1 but I think you can get it straight from Baldor. They are only made in whole number gear ratios, no in betweens. If you want 2:1 you might ask them about it. Could be on backorder.

Cast Iron Gear Reducer 3:1, C-Face

 I highly recommend this gearbox if you can get it in a ratio that you calculate will work well for you. Zero maintenance. Very little backlash. Low resistance to turning. Super easy mounting for most small propulsion motors. I have a 5kw 4201 installed right now but I also have a 12kw 0913 and either one bolts right up. No messy motorcycle chains or whirring belts or exposed gears. No custom bell housing needed, or external thrust bearing required. Cheaper than a lot of prefab belt drive reductions. A planetary gearset might be a tiny bit more efficient, I guess, but this is what I got and I am pretty happy with it.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (41)

Check out the automatic photo album with 1 photo(s) from this topic.
Comparison.png


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment