Monday, February 15, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: OMC Zephyr Saildrive Conversion

 

David, I am in the midst of a mercury "saildrive" conversion.  Mu local marine shop said the amount of power the impeller taxes the system is substantial and suggested that if it was not needed in the motor cooling, to remove it.  That is what I have done, and I am quite pleased with the savings.  The shaft turns a lot easier, and It looks like even if I were to use liquid cooling, there is another system that is on the boat I am building that will more than handle the load at a huge savings all the way around.  At present, of the readily available motor options out there, I have found that the Golden Motor is about the only one doing a liquid cooled version.  And in talking to some of the other motor manufacturing engineers, it really looks like a problem (leak) waiting to happen.  I am planning on air cooled with "muffin" fans.
Dan
 
 
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2016 6:45 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: OMC Zephyr Saildrive Conversion
 
 

I am in the planning stage with my S2 zephyr conversion. I have thought the water intake and I have a shut off valve. When I aslked about removing the impeller pump I did not get what I thought was a good answer. What is your plan for the impeller?

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Dan Hennis" <dhennis@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

.

__,_._,___

2 comments:

  1. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. Exploded view OMC parts drawing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts.
    Johnson outboard seal kit

    ReplyDelete