Sunday, November 25, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Paint for ME0913

 

Whoa, careful with your health!
There is an occupational disease called metal fume fever or, in this case, zinc fume fever. Do NOT inhale air containing Zn fume and do not try melting zinc in your family's cooking oven.
for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Craig Carmichael <craig@...> wrote:
>
> In a plastics store I found a spray can of "cold galvanizing
> compound" - basically zinc flakes with propellant and something to
> help them stick to steel.
>
> It claims the zinc acts as a sacrifical anode to prevent corrosion of
> the steel, even if there's a small scratch(es).
>
> I understand this is basically the same undercoat as for powder
> coating, except there it's put on as dry powder at something like 200
> degrees C. After I spray it on a piece of steel, I put it in the oven
> for a while at 425 F or so to simulate the high temperature of the
> powder coating. Zinc starts to flow a bit at such temperatures
> (sinter) and bond better.
>
> Craig
>
> -----
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >My ME0913 has been installed in a wooden boat docked in SF Bay Area.
> >The casing is oxidizing a little bit and I'm wondering if I should
> >paint the enclosure. Does anyone have an opinion about this? And if
> >I should paint it would I then take off the casing and paint it
> >inside and out (the casing not the coil etc)?
> >
> >Any advice would be appreciated.
> >
> >Bradley
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment