Saturday, November 24, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Paint for ME0913

 

In a plastics store I found a spray can of "cold galvanizing
compound" - basically zinc flakes with propellant and something to
help them stick to steel.

It claims the zinc acts as a sacrifical anode to prevent corrosion of
the steel, even if there's a small scratch(es).

I understand this is basically the same undercoat as for powder
coating, except there it's put on as dry powder at something like 200
degrees C. After I spray it on a piece of steel, I put it in the oven
for a while at 425 F or so to simulate the high temperature of the
powder coating. Zinc starts to flow a bit at such temperatures
(sinter) and bond better.

Craig

-----

>Hi,
>
>My ME0913 has been installed in a wooden boat docked in SF Bay Area.
>The casing is oxidizing a little bit and I'm wondering if I should
>paint the enclosure. Does anyone have an opinion about this? And if
>I should paint it would I then take off the casing and paint it
>inside and out (the casing not the coil etc)?
>
>Any advice would be appreciated.
>
>Bradley

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment