Sunday, November 18, 2012

[Electric Boats] Re: Planning Cal 2-27 conversion, advice needed

 



A relatively inexpensive experiment is to try out the freshwater version of the 80# MinnKota (24 volt) to see what it can do. They are only several hundred dollars new. A Kipawa prop may give it more thrust. If you are satisfied with the performance then you have your answer. If not it can still be used as a spare if your main motor should quit on you. Thanks. Steve S.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <eric14850@...> wrote:
>
> Sailboat. Yes. And yes it seems crazy to be talking $5000 for an auxiliary on my 25' sailboat. At the moment I use a dinghy with a 6 HP 2 cycle outboard that may only be putting out 4 or 5 HP. It is adequate. I don't need more drive, but half that much drive might feel less than adequate. A couple of HP turning a big slow prop would be perfect if that prop were able to be removed from the water, feathering, able to be hidden behind the skeg. It is unacceptable to drag a three bladed prop through the water while sailing, or even a two bladed prop unless it is hidden behind an already existing source of drag.
>
> I would like a more reasonable auxiliary solution, and I would like that solution to be electric. I have looked at Torqeedo, and more recently Ray. Each of these solutions is right around $4000 for the motor and controler and another $1000 in batteries. I can't justify it. Yet, I have not been able to work out something better. I'd sure be interested in hearing about electric conversions of outboard lower ends IF they are geared down to be used for displacement speeds AND IF they use props appropriate for displacement speeds.
>
> John Green asked some questions and I'll be interested in your answers to his questions. I don't see how the little props on electric trolling motors can be adequate for a 3 or 4 ton sailboat.
>
> Eric
>
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (24)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment