Wednesday, January 11, 2012

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric motors and salt water

 

Hi Jeff,

Regarding resale, the safe answer would be don't repower with electric if you are looking to repower and turn the boat around quickly. I think electric propulsion (EP) is still considered by many as an unproven auxiliary. That said, in 2004 I repowered an Ericson 23 with a 36volt trolling motor and when I sold it 2006 it only took three months to sell. One of the selling points was the EP. My advise is to repower with EP for yourself.

Concern #2, the SolidNav Explorer that I installed on my Ericson 27 in spring 2008 still looks like the day I installed it. This is on a boat that is in a saltwater slip and regularly sailed year round.

Mark
Santa Cruz

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <miragevideo@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am considering a repowering for my Coronado 35. I like the idea of an electric auxiliary, but am concerned about two things. 1- resale potential considering an electric power source is not mainstream boating and 2 - Electric parts and a salty environment are not good partners.
>
> Any comments on these two points?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment