Monday, July 25, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Hybrid drive

 

Hi, Eric -

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 05:25:51PM -0000, Eric wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> I'm using an Elcon PFC 2000+ 48V charger that has been programmed for
> my Lithium battery pack. The charger has big heat fins and a built in
> cooling fan. As a charger, it has all of the appropriate programming
> to prevent overcharging if the batteries get full. The charger will
> push a consistant 28A at 54V (over 1500W) and has worked very well
> providing power while underway. The charger does pull a maximum of
> about 14A of 120VAC (almost 1700W, measured with a Kill-a-Watt meter)
> which is above the continuous output rating of 13.3A on my Yamaha
> EF2000iS generator, however, the generator has always been able to
> support the charger demand. The longest that I've run in this mode is
> about 90 minutes.
>
> So my experience is that the Elcon chargers work well as power supplies too.

Excellent - thanks for the details, Eric! I'll probably go with
something like that when it comes to powering the engine bank (the setup
I'm going with now is just for the house side.)

Incidentally, does anyone have a good recommendation for a panel-mounted
voltmeter/ammeter pair? Ideally, I'd like a backlit (blue) LCD display
with large digits (~1" high) where I could see both the volts and the
amps at the same time. An ammeter that goes to 300A or more would be
perfect.

--
Ben Okopnik
-=-=-=-=-=-

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment