Wednesday, July 27, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Small diesel and alternator as security power source

 



--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "margitogfilip" <dc@...> wrote:
>
> Does anyone have experience using an alternator as security source?
> I have installed a 'MARS kit' from Thunderstruck motors in my 29 feet sailboat, but find the 120Ah 48V semitraction battery-pack to give very limited sailing distance. Should like to install a 'security power plant' consisting of a little diesel, say 4KW at 3500 rpm to pull an alternator making 48V at about 40-50 Amps to pull the boat at about half speed for as long as I have diesel in the tank. My questions go on (1) the type of alternator to use, (2) whether I need a voltage regulator, or the battery-pack will control the voltage until fully charged, (3) if I need a fuse to limit the current from the alternator, or the SEVCON motor controller will act as a fuse (I suppose the voltage from the alternator drops, when the current goes up, and the SEVCON stops working when the voltage is down to about 44V), and (4) do I need a contact, or contactor, to separate the alternator from the batteries, when the alternator is not pulled by the dieselmotor. I find the data from various alternator suppliers to be very confusing. Can anyone help me how to calculate the right combination. Thanks a lot. David C. from Denmark. We have one of the best sailing environments in the world.
>I'm intending a similar set-up. How much range do you get with 120AH?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment