Saturday, July 23, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Pod mounted in rudder

 

Hi Marc,

My first electric auxiliary for a sailboat was a MotorGuide 109 on a 1968 Ericson 23. I did switch to a Kipawa prop which gave me a bit more top speed, at full power it would push the boat at 4 knots.

It worked well enough that the next boat I bought I switched to EP as soon as I could.

You can see some photos here in the photos section under "Coaster".

Mark
Santa Cruz

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "stmbtwle" <stmbtwle@...> wrote:
>
> A 36v trolling motor provides 100# of thrust and will move a 24' boat with no problem. I'd try one before I spent a lot of money on a "pod" that will only slow you down under sail.
>
> A few years ago just for a lark I put a 12v, 28# thrust Minn Kota on my dinghy and pushed my 35', 19,000# houseboat with it. I got ONE knot, average of both directions per GPS. A FOUR HP gas outboard only got two knots.
>
> Today I have a 40#, 12v trolling motor on an 18' canoe... it will push two adults to about 4 knots, with a range of some 20 mi on two 6v golf batteries. With that same rig I have TOWED a broken-down outboard motorboat some 16-18' in length (a lot more drag than a 24' sailboat).
>
> They work, and they're inexpensive. Try it before you knock it.
>
> Then there's the Torqueedo electric outboard that's claimed to put out 6 hp equivalent on 48 volts.
>
> I wouldn't try to re-invent the wheel.
>
> Willie
>
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@> wrote:
> >
> > And trolling motors provide nowhere near the power of a 2.5kW drive that they spec'ed to begin with.
> >
> > Eric
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "stmbtwle" <stmbtwle@> wrote:
> > >
> > > It wouldn't be that hard to glass the business end of a 24v or 36v trolling motor into the rudder; trolling motors (and parts) are readily available. However that setup is going to impair your sailing performance.
> > >
> > > I'd simply mount an off-the shelf trolling motor on a bracket. No modifications required.
> > >
> > > Willie
> > >
> > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "marcdrachten" <mevanderkuur@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hello,
> > > >
> > > > We are investigating to mount an electric pod in our rudder. Anyone with good thoughts? I want to aim for a +/- 2 - 2.5 kW on max 24V due to limited space available on my 24' daysailer. I can stow 2 12V, 270 Amp batteries.
> > > >
> > > > DC or AC? and then 24V or maybe 220V or other V with inverter (lower amps, thus smaller cables into rudder) This will however will cost some efficiency.
> > > >
> > > > We all ready test sailed with an inboard 24V, 2.5 kW PMG engine to our satisfaction. However fitting in to the rudder will create more flexibility while building and after sales.
> > > >
> > > > We are looking for "of the shelf" products to facilitate small series production later on.
> > > >
> > > > Any thoughts?
> > > >
> > > > Marc
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment