Thursday, July 28, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Battery options

 

The Northstar AGMs are similar in weight and generally in costs.  The "foot print" is nice since they are on 5" wide. 

Something to consider.  I have 2 for my house bank and will have 6 for my propulsion bank once completed (72v). 

Bill

 

On Jul 28, 2011, at 1:29 PM, Ben Okopnik <ben@linuxgazette.net> wrote:

 

Hi, all -

I'm completely revising the (badly designed/installed by the previous
owner) house bank aboard my boat, and am trying to make some good
decisions about the components that I'm using. So far, I've ordered a
65A/1kW battery charger, and have decided to go with AGM batteries (all
my experience up to this point, quite a few years of it, has been with
FLAs - specifically Trojan GCs.) A very knowledgeable friend has
recommended PowerTech AGMs, which he has aboard his boat and which he
tell me are comparable to LifeLine AGMs.

Given the size of the battery comparments aboard, the two options I've
come down to are (costs are from Defender Marine, just for comparison):

1) 4 6v GC2s
A/H: 374
Weight: 70lbs x 4 = 280lbs
Cost: $275 x 4 = $1100

2) 2 12v 4Ds
A/H: 396
Weight: 129lbs x 2 = 258lbs
Cost: $450 x 2 = $900

Size-wise, the 4Ds fit the battery compartments just a little better
than the GC2s. Now, I realize that by going with the big batteries, I'm
losing the flexibility of being able to replace anything smaller than
1/2 the entire system at a time... but other than that, is there any
other reason *not* to go with the 4Ds? At the moment, they look like the
winner in every category (and I'm a big, strong guy who can shift a
130lb weight relatively easily.) Also, any other AGM-pertinent advice
as well any other factors that pertain to noodling about a house system
would be appreciated.

--
Ben Okopnik
-=-=-=-=-=-

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment