Monday, July 25, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Hybrid drive

 

Hi Ben,

I'm using an Elcon PFC 2000+ 48V charger that has been programmed for my Lithium battery pack. The charger has big heat fins and a built in cooling fan. As a charger, it has all of the appropriate programming to prevent overcharging if the batteries get full. The charger will push a consistant 28A at 54V (over 1500W) and has worked very well providing power while underway. The charger does pull a maximum of about 14A of 120VAC (almost 1700W, measured with a Kill-a-Watt meter) which is above the continuous output rating of 13.3A on my Yamaha EF2000iS generator, however, the generator has always been able to support the charger demand. The longest that I've run in this mode is about 90 minutes.

So my experience is that the Elcon chargers work well as power supplies too.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Ben Okopnik <ben@...> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 08:36:44PM -0700, Mike wrote:
> >
> > Interesting info about the power converters. But, since I've already invested
> > in the Zivan NG-1 and also a Dual Pro and they are both working for me I won't
> > be looking to "fix it" for awhile.
>
> I got interested in the whole power converter thing, and called up WFCO.
> Got a... let's call it "fascinating"... earful....
>
> I just ordered a 1kW Meanwell charger, which appears to have quite a
> good rep among the "off-the-grid" crowd and which I can drive from my
> Honda eu2000i generator; that seems like a pretty decent start on _that_
> end of the system. Next comes the set of Crown GC6 batteries and 6 135W
> Kyocera solar panels... yep, I've got a bit of work ahead of me. :)
>
> Incidentally, if anyone has an e-boat in the NY/NJ area, I'd love to
> meet up for some electrifying conversation. I'll happily buy a six-pack
> of electrolyte to stimulate the flow of electrons... I mean, ideas. :)
>
>
> --
> Ben Okopnik
> -=-=-=-=-=-
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment