Monday, July 25, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Hybrid drive

 

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 08:36:44PM -0700, Mike wrote:
>
> Interesting info about the power converters. But, since I've already invested
> in the Zivan NG-1 and also a Dual Pro and they are both working for me I won't
> be looking to "fix it" for awhile.

I got interested in the whole power converter thing, and called up WFCO.
Got a... let's call it "fascinating"... earful. First off, I was told
categorically - by one of their engineers, no less - that "these units
aren't marine-rated, so if the Coast Guard finds out, they'll make you
take it off your boat (!!!)" Next, they told me that, once the batteries
fall below 11V or so, a converter won't charge them... they're strictly
for driving appliances, not charging batteries. When asked if they make
anything like a charger, the answer was a clear "no".

I just ordered a 1kW Meanwell charger, which appears to have quite a
good rep among the "off-the-grid" crowd and which I can drive from my
Honda eu2000i generator; that seems like a pretty decent start on _that_
end of the system. Next comes the set of Crown GC6 batteries and 6 135W
Kyocera solar panels... yep, I've got a bit of work ahead of me. :)

Incidentally, if anyone has an e-boat in the NY/NJ area, I'd love to
meet up for some electrifying conversation. I'll happily buy a six-pack
of electrolyte to stimulate the flow of electrons... I mean, ideas. :)

--
Ben Okopnik
-=-=-=-=-=-

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment