Thursday, July 28, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: first outing - commissioning

 

Hi Eric,

I'm not sure what "slightly better" means, more speed or higher efficiency, but it looks like your efficiency is right up there with many other 29'-30' conversions. I tend to zero in on the 4 knot performance because it represents a reasonable balanace of speed and range. According to your table, you're getting 4 knots with 1420W (29A x 49V). While there are only a handful of detailed reports about boats in this range, this speed seems to come in between 1200W and 1800W puting you in the dead center.

I don't know what your top speed is (my mars motor will run up to 1900rpm) but my boat pulls 75-80A at 1740rpm and my last 25-30A adds about 150rpm and 0.5 knot. At full power I'm still 0.5 knot from my theoretical hull speed of 6.5kts.

So you should get more speed, but I think that you'll find that the bulk of you operation will be at your lower settings. It certainly sounds like that in the reports from the conversions in this group.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, erichmadison <no_reply@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks for letting me bounce these off the group. Scott at Electric Yacht was expecting slightly better numbers, and said I could probably gain a half knot with a pulley change. I'll see how this season goes and maybe do the swap in the off season. Theoretical hull speed for the boat is around 6, so I'm close.
>
> Eric
>
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > These numbers look a lot more consistent. Congrats on your conversion.
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, erichmadison <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Here are some more details as requested by Eric, as well as some new data. Note this data is taken from the battery monitor. The time/hours figure is time remaining estimated by the system controller or battery monitor....
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Eric
> > >
> > > Electric Yacht 100ibl system (motor is a Mars, but not sure what the model # is)
> > > 100Ah AGM battery bank
> > > Sillette MK2 outdrive (reduction drive 2:1)
> > > 14" 3-blade fixed prop, 11" pitch
> > >
> > > KNOTS (GPS) / HOURS REMAINING / AMPS / VOLTS / RPM
> > >
> > > 2.4 / 14.6 / 6 / 50 / 720
> > > 2.8 / 8.5 / 10 / 50 / 920
> > > 3.7 / 3.6 / 23 / 49 / 1170
> > > 4 / 2.7 / 29 / 49 / 1290
> > > 4.6 / 1.6 / 47 / 48 / 1460
> > > 5 / 1.2 / 63 / 48 / 1730
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment