Sunday, July 31, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Aloha from Hawaii

 


A 10KW is not going to be big enough for you. I have a 41 Seawolf and have the same motor as Pitt from Electric Yacht. There is a guy in Australia who has a Thoosa 17000 on his Formosa. I looked into that as the 9000 wasn't powerful enough, but after careful deliberation went with the 360lib from EY. From what I know us three are the only 41 Bill Garden boats that are electric in the world.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Brian Misner <bsmisner@...> wrote:
>
> Justin,
>
> Relatively new myself, but from what I've learned so far, finding a drive
> motor and controller won't be a problem. The challenge is in the
> batteries. You need to determine what range you need, under power, to get
> out, get back in and for any other challenges that might arise. You always
> have the option of a hybrid in the way of a generator to charge while under
> way for the long stretches. I'm sure many others will have a lot more info.
>
> Good luck and fair winds!
>
> Brian
>
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 2:49 PM, justin johnson <justrayj@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > I am new to your site and coming to you from Honolulu Hawaii. I am the
> > owner of a Formosa CT41, a 45' sailing ketch. The original 50hp diesel
> > motor has failed and it is time to choose a replacement. I am really drawn
> > to the quieter operation of an electric drive. In addition many of the
> > outer islands in the chain do not allow the use of fossil fuels.
> >
> > I am very confident installing a system myself. However I am new to this
> > format and still learning. Any suggenstion or comments are very welcome.
> >
> > FYI 39" at the water line 45' overall, 12' beam 9,000lb full keel, It is
> > necessary to navigate about a mile of a narrow channel to get to open water.
> >
> > Justin
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment