Friday, October 8, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Power supply to run motor

 

Thanks for the info Doug. I had ordered a 48201 (the 200 amp max, 100 continuous model) and the sales rep has suggested the model you have would be a better fit for the motor (the 48301, 300 amp max, 150 amp continuous.) Do you have any input on that?

I am ordering the sealed option for the Kelly (IP65, the regular model is IP44.) the Sevcon certainly looks like a nice controller but with the extra cost of the programmer it really ads up quick.

I don't have any existing controls to interface with the unit so I ordered their control box, which is pretty jury rigged, but it will get me going more quickly and at much less cost than setting up my own system. I can build a nicer control set up once things are working properly. The centered pot option on the Kelly is pretty cool and intuitive, let us know how it works.

I get the impression that the Sevcon is a more robust item just looking at it, but does anyone have any experience with either of the Kelly or the Sevcon giving trouble? They should both be pretty bullet proof, its all solid state right?

I'd also be interested to see any data on the efficiency of the two brands of controller.

David

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Doug <dj2210@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

David
I just finished bench testing a Kelly 48301 with the Mars PMAC. I used four 12v 45ah UPS batteries. My PMAC is connected to a 2:1 gear reducer so really no load. With a tach on the gear reducer reading 1700 rpm the current from the batteries was about 12 amps. The Kelly was easy to set up and I got the throttle software option that allows one to use a pot centered to provide forward in one direction and reverse in the other. I also have tried the Sevcon gen4 and it also works good. The Sevcon is a sealed unit that IMO is more robust and better placed electrical connections.
Doug



--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "goldsmithfoil" <suntreader@...> wrote:
>
> Group,
>
> I'm setting up a MARS PMAC and Kelly KBL controller package for my Islander 32 (about 10k pounds or so.) It'll run off a set of 6V cart batteries.
>
> A couple of questions. Has anyone used a Kelly controller? I had planned on a Sevcon originally but the Kelly seems like a nice unit (and its probably half the cost once everything is wired up and running.)
>
> Second question: How can I go about bench testing the whole deal before installation and before setting up the battery array. This conversion is part of a larger restoration project and it'll be six months before the boat heads to the water, I wanted to buy the batteries at the last moment so they don't just sit for that long. I can buy a small 48v power supply, but how much amperage is needed to test the system out? No need for full throttle, just turn on and spin the prop some.
>
> Looking for power supplies got me thinking. Could you set up something like this:
>
> http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/se-600-48.shtml
>
> First for testing and then installed to power the motor off of a Honda 2000 generator? There would be enough power to run the motor off the power supply and charge the batteries off a separate charger. That could give some redundancy in case there is a problem with the batteries or their charger, and I'd need the supply for running on the bench anyway.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment