Friday, October 8, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Power supply to run motor

 

I don't expect to draw more than 60-70 amps and hopefully it will be closer to 30 amps normally. 3.5-4knts is fine for me. I hope to have a sea trial (or should I say lake trial) in the next couple of weeks.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, David Goldsmith <suntreader@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the info Doug. I had ordered a 48201 (the 200 amp max, 100
> continuous model) and the sales rep has suggested the model you have would
> be a better fit for the motor (the 48301, 300 amp max, 150 amp continuous.)
> Do you have any input on that?
>
> I am ordering the sealed option for the Kelly (IP65, the regular model is
> IP44.) the Sevcon certainly looks like a nice controller but with the extra
> cost of the programmer it really ads up quick.
>
> I don't have any existing controls to interface with the unit so I ordered
> their control box, which is pretty jury rigged, but it will get me going
> more quickly and at much less cost than setting up my own system. I can
> build a nicer control set up once things are working properly. The centered
> pot option on the Kelly is pretty cool and intuitive, let us know how it
> works.
>
> I get the impression that the Sevcon is a more robust item just looking at
> it, but does anyone have any experience with either of the Kelly or the
> Sevcon giving trouble? They should both be pretty bullet proof, its all
> solid state right?
>
> I'd also be interested to see any data on the efficiency of the two brands
> of controller.
>
> David
>
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Doug <dj2210@...> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > David
> > I just finished bench testing a Kelly 48301 with the Mars PMAC. I used four
> > 12v 45ah UPS batteries. My PMAC is connected to a 2:1 gear reducer so really
> > no load. With a tach on the gear reducer reading 1700 rpm the current from
> > the batteries was about 12 amps. The Kelly was easy to set up and I got the
> > throttle software option that allows one to use a pot centered to provide
> > forward in one direction and reverse in the other. I also have tried the
> > Sevcon gen4 and it also works good. The Sevcon is a sealed unit that IMO is
> > more robust and better placed electrical connections.
> > Doug
> >
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com <electricboats%40yahoogroups.com>,
> > "goldsmithfoil" <suntreader@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Group,
> > >
> > > I'm setting up a MARS PMAC and Kelly KBL controller package for my
> > Islander 32 (about 10k pounds or so.) It'll run off a set of 6V cart
> > batteries.
> > >
> > > A couple of questions. Has anyone used a Kelly controller? I had planned
> > on a Sevcon originally but the Kelly seems like a nice unit (and its
> > probably half the cost once everything is wired up and running.)
> > >
> > > Second question: How can I go about bench testing the whole deal before
> > installation and before setting up the battery array. This conversion is
> > part of a larger restoration project and it'll be six months before the boat
> > heads to the water, I wanted to buy the batteries at the last moment so they
> > don't just sit for that long. I can buy a small 48v power supply, but how
> > much amperage is needed to test the system out? No need for full throttle,
> > just turn on and spin the prop some.
> > >
> > > Looking for power supplies got me thinking. Could you set up something
> > like this:
> > >
> > > http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/se-600-48.shtml
> > >
> > > First for testing and then installed to power the motor off of a Honda
> > 2000 generator? There would be enough power to run the motor off the power
> > supply and charge the batteries off a separate charger. That could give some
> > redundancy in case there is a problem with the batteries or their charger,
> > and I'd need the supply for running on the bench anyway.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > David
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment