Friday, October 8, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Power supply to run motor

 

David
I just finished bench testing a Kelly 48301 with the Mars PMAC. I used four 12v 45ah UPS batteries. My PMAC is connected to a 2:1 gear reducer so really no load. With a tach on the gear reducer reading 1700 rpm the current from the batteries was about 12 amps. The Kelly was easy to set up and I got the throttle software option that allows one to use a pot centered to provide forward in one direction and reverse in the other. I also have tried the Sevcon gen4 and it also works good. The Sevcon is a sealed unit that IMO is more robust and better placed electrical connections.
Doug

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "goldsmithfoil" <suntreader@...> wrote:
>
> Group,
>
> I'm setting up a MARS PMAC and Kelly KBL controller package for my Islander 32 (about 10k pounds or so.) It'll run off a set of 6V cart batteries.
>
> A couple of questions. Has anyone used a Kelly controller? I had planned on a Sevcon originally but the Kelly seems like a nice unit (and its probably half the cost once everything is wired up and running.)
>
> Second question: How can I go about bench testing the whole deal before installation and before setting up the battery array. This conversion is part of a larger restoration project and it'll be six months before the boat heads to the water, I wanted to buy the batteries at the last moment so they don't just sit for that long. I can buy a small 48v power supply, but how much amperage is needed to test the system out? No need for full throttle, just turn on and spin the prop some.
>
> Looking for power supplies got me thinking. Could you set up something like this:
>
> http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/se-600-48.shtml
>
> First for testing and then installed to power the motor off of a Honda 2000 generator? There would be enough power to run the motor off the power supply and charge the batteries off a separate charger. That could give some redundancy in case there is a problem with the batteries or their charger, and I'd need the supply for running on the bench anyway.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment