Sunday, October 31, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] I am thinking about considering building an E-Boat

 

That sounds exactly like what I am looking for.  I am also interested in tracking how much power it took to recharge the bank back to full and knowing how much capacity is left in the bank when it is full.  .Is there a graph somewhere that shows the capacity drop for batteries as you discharge and recharge them?



From: Mike <biankablog@verizon.net>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, October 31, 2010 8:24:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] I am thinking about considering building an E-Boat

 

Capt. Bill:
 
Sounds like a plan! I'll let others speak to the motor, controllers etc... For instrumentation you might try a Paktraker with a current measuring option. It will let you know the voltage of each individual battery as well as the whole bank voltage, current in and out and also kilowatts used. You might have to make sure it stays out of the weather in some type of protective case and cover. But, I think it will do everything you want.
 
Capt.Mike


--- On Sun, 10/31/10, Bill Spires <spiresac@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Bill Spires <spiresac@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] I am thinking about considering building an E-Boat
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 5:41 AM

 
I am thinking about building an electric boat and that is why I joined the group.  I think I have found the perfect hull for me.  An old Rainbow sailboat.  It is currently a complete sailboat but I plan to convert it to an E-boat only with no mast or keel.  I have a 36 volt golf cart motor but I think I will start off with just a trolling motor.  The lake I live on is approximately  7 mile s wide and 20 miles long with about 600 miles of shoreline.  I need about 10-12 miles of range at about 4 knots.  I think a 2 battery setup with an electric trolling motor will give me what I am looking for.  I will carry a small generator to run the blender and provide a supplemental charge.  I will re-charge the batteries from shore power after a cruise and I am planning to put at least on solar panel on with a diode just to keep the batteries topped.

Any thoughts o the above?

I would like to instrument the boat so that I can know exactly how efficient it is.  If I go for a little sunset cruise how can I tell how many kilowatts it will take to recharge the batteries?  A spreadsheet that we could just plugs some numbers into would be nice,,, and a computer programmed to do all the calculations while we are out cruising would also be nice.  Tie in the GPS as an auto pilot and I can concentrate on running the blender.

Are we having fun yet?

Capt. Bill
From the Palmetto State


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment