Wednesday, October 27, 2010

RE: [Electric Boats] Propulsion Marine 5 KW Electric Drive

 

 

 

I’ve got 2 -18” props. When the motors aren’t on I’m regenerating. I also have brushless motors which are low drag and direct drive to the shaft, no belts or other stuff adding to the drag. With that said, yes there is a loss, an average of about 1 knot. “Very much” is relevant to your speed. I do a little over 50% of wind speed and admit I have a lot to learn about sail trim. However the regeneration of power while sailing makes it worth while. As to larger than a 12” prop I would think drag would be slightly more to negligible. The thing I never understood, because it’s an argument against e-drives, if you got a prop in the water on a diesel it creates the same drag if not more do to the sail drive so why would that figure into the equation?  

Steve in Solomons MD

Does a larger prop create more drag when the e motor is not on? And will this slow down a sailboat very much?

JC

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment