Friday, May 14, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Mastervolt systems

 

I will be going with two 10 kw silent props, for a total of 20kw and a none Mastervolt battery pack, unless they cut me a hell of a deal.  Evcomponents  will sell you a LiFePo4 400 AH 48 volt pack for $7000.00 that is a 19kwh pack. 

My total system will cost me about 30 Grand, But should last forever. My boat is worth about twice that.  But really others might spend more then that on a new car or a deck for there over sized house.  What you are willing to pay for this or that is a personal preference. 
With the cost of gas for my boat and engine repairs at inflated marina prices, it might even pay for itself in about ten years. 


Sent from my iPad

On May 14, 2010, at 2:34 AM, "Eric" <ewdysar@yahoo.com> wrote:

 

Hey James,

Are you still thinking about converting your 41' cabin cruiser? What is your latest list of components? The link you posted suggests a 23.9kW drive with 95kWh of batteries. I've found their AGM batteries for only $0.25/Wh, so their suggested battery bank would cost $24,000 and weigh 5,000 pounds.

I've looked at the Mastervolt stuff, very pretty but very pricey. The Lithium batteries are down to $5000 for 160Ah at 24V (4kWh) or $1.25/Wh. The system that your link suggested for my 30' sailboat was 25kWh of Lithium (over $30,000, 650 pounds) or 37kWh of AGM ($10,000, 2600 pounds). My whole boat is worth less than $20,000

The drive that they suggested is rated for 8.5kW. Every converted 30' sailboat that I've seen discussed on this board has been very successful with a 5kW drive or less, and I haven't heard of anyone running a battery bank that size.

That said, their systems are probably much less of a compromise, bigger motors than we usually see here and much bigger battery banks will give more power and longer ranges. Again, their products and presentation are very pretty and very pricey. All one needs is a big wallet and a whole lot of room for batteries.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, James Sizemore <james@...> wrote:
>
>
> Mastervolt has some good charts for what size motor you will need for a given boat size and weight
> http://www.mastervolt.com/download.php?id=4713
>
> They also have some suggestions on needed components
>
> http://www.mastervolt.com/download.php?id=4743
>
> Sent from my iPad
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment