Friday, May 14, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Looking for Advice on a Electric Drive System Supplier

 

My point is to let safety be your first priority.
I don't really care what sort of power you use , just think safety.
Regards Rob J.


From: acsarfkram <acsarfkram@yahoo.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sat, 15 May, 2010 1:55:40 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Looking for Advice on a Electric Drive System Supplier

I really did not want to get into this tangent of this thread but...

Rob, I understand your concerns and there certainly could be times (time constraints) that a diesel would be a preferred auxiliary but your situations below are not good examples. Any one of them is well within the performance capabilities of a well designed electric auxiliary.

What's your point?

Mark
Santa Cruz 

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@...> wrote:
>
> Perry , I can only speak for the people I know , and they are traditional sailers , in a pretty hostile sailing environment .
> Engine use is an absolute minimum .
> There were 3 boats out tonight , including mine .
> All 3 started and ran their engines . I did no propulsion work with my engine , there were 2 of us on my boat , the other 2 sailers were single handing , and used their engines to get off and on their moorings , and when raising and lowering sail .
> The port is very busy at the moment , with stink boat drivers chasing tuna.
> None of us normally motor , but if the safest , most prudent option is to motor , motor we do.
> As an example  a couple of months ago a mate and I were fishing , when the wind dropped right off , and a heavy fog started to roll in , on nightfall.
> We motored then  , no worries , for about an hour , to get back to my mooring while there was still some visibility.
> One of the other blokes was going to a port down the coast recently , and tore his main .
> He turned around and motored back , 4-5 hours in to the wind , there is no shame in that !.
> What is the option , no auxiliary ? , an auxiliary that will only get you off your mooring ?. 
> If having adequate auxiliary power to handle most conditions under power makes me a lesser sailer , well I , and the old timers who taught me will always be lesser sailers.
> Like about a month ago , I made sure I was in and back on shore before a weather system came through.
> I knew it was coming , and elected to be off the water.
> And as I was dragging my tender up the sand , a family were preparing to go out .
> That surprised me .
> Imagine my shock , when I found out that as I drove home , there was a full scale rescue attempt on that family.
> Unfortunately , the father drowned. 
> I will remain a lesser sailer , I will always have a viable second option.
> As an aside , I'm looking to get another boat soon , and I'm really going to be trying to set it up with a Nanni hybrid.
> So then I'll have the best of 3 worlds.
> Whimp that I am.
> Regards Rob J.
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: perry924 <perry.mondesir@...>
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Fri, 14 May, 2010 7:27:14 PM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Looking for Advice on a Electric Drive System Supplier
>
> John,
>   I'm sure you are right about the number of boat that get into trouble for the want of sustained power but I believe that this is an example of sailors taking more risks because they believe they can just motor out of trouble. In the UK on the introduction of seatbelt laws it was found that people begain to drive more dangerously becaus ethe belts made them feel safer. I think this is the same effect as having a powerful engine and a tank full of diesel on a sailboat!
> Cheers,
> Perry
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@> wrote:
> >
> > John , I too much much prefer to sail , I  much prefer the quiet and motion of a boat under sail than the noise of an engine .
> > I would love to be able to use an electric motor , for auxiliary power.
> > But I've had 2 recent incidents , crewing on other people boats , where we needed strong sustained diesel power.
> > Once was heading in to a weather system , to the safety of port , the second was in very rough seas and 30+ knot winds , when we tore the main , and were in trouble using the headsail only.
> > And as a member of Coastguard , we are constantly going to the assistance of boats who have no adequate auxiliary power.
> > The coast is littered with wrecks , boats that didn't have adequate auxiliary power .
> > For me , I believe my electric power will come in the form of hybrid power , where I can enjoy the best of both worlds .
> > Everyones requirements are different , but safety should be a primary consideration.
> > Regards Rob J. 
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: John Francis <surv69@>
> > To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > Sent: Thu, 13 May, 2010 9:19:45 PM
> > Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Looking for Advice on a Electric Drive System Supplier
> >
> >
> >
> > In 15 years of sailing I have never met a "single" person that ever needed the amounts of power(in ratio to the boat), that's considered minimal for needs. I have NEVER experienced a sailer needing more power than to leave a dock, go somewhere and return, either the same day or at most, 2 days later. I know there are any number of sailers that sail for weeks at a time or even non-stop. I have as yet ever met one. SO, typical of the ole American philosphy, much more than what is needed is the minimally needed quantity of whatever it is for the whatever it is being discussed. Also, one thing I've ALWAYS noticed is(especially in the United States), that everyone insists you need much more power than one actually needs and everyone insists that a person needs at least the same(although more is always better) amount of available power(engine/motor), to get out of those rough spots that almost never occur. Forget inherent problems that come with IC engines.
>  It
> >  seems an unreliable IC engine is better than a slightly underpowered electric engine, hands down. Motorcycles, cars, ATV's or what-have-you, the general premise is that more is needed and most is always best. I remember one of the old arguments in favor of "big" engined cars being that a person can "speed" away from an accident(as to not be involved in the accident). I used to just shake my head, What else could I do? Everyone(almost to a man), claims that a motorcycle needs to be at least 1000cc to do any traveling . . . ANY traveling. It appears that most adult ATV's are of about 500cc+ in size and the "better" ones are larger. Maybe the really big ones are need to carry 300 pound people at 50-60 mph along the side of a highway? If we can't get "lost" in our house or if there's not enough bathrooms for eveyone, then the house is too small or otherwise deficient. I have got to say, that talking about electric is also talking about excessivenessand
> >  RE-EVALUATING need should be a major point of issue. Seriously, our decadence(especially in the U.S.) is unreal and the discussion about conversion to more green solutions(to anything) doesn't address our decadence regarding power. I rarely hear "conservation" arise in discussions about alternative options and going electric(for boats) is no different. It seems that no one wants to consider getting by with less(power), even though in virtually all situations(maybe a lifetime of situations) much less power will suffice. THESE ARE SAILBOATS. I know that there are a few powerboats in the discussion, but basically, we're talking about sailboats and the motor/engine should be nothing more than auxillary . . . not the main source of propulsion. If we don't begin to rethink why we want to go electric then almost no one should bother(going electric) until someone invents a small 200 watt solar panel that works in the shade, cheap, hi-powered, fast recharge
>  and
> >  safe LiPo batteries and engines that will knock the socks off of anything else on the water with very little energy needs. I say if you want to go electric . . . just do it. Use what you got, use what you can afford, and do it! If the electric conversion is not what you expected, then adjust and learn to live with it or get rid of it. It's just that I hear talk, talk, talk(about going electric) with periods of high excitement when someone chimes in that they've actually made the conversion. Theory and formulas are great, but dealing with issues while adjusting attitudes and needs should be exciting in their own right. I'd like to hear more about people who've gone electric and became better, more confident sailers because they chose to rely more heavily on the capabilities of the boat or sailing abilities as a way to offset "shortcomings" of their electric conversion. I'm sorry, but sometimes it's depressing when I hear about wanting change but
> >  seemingly not willing to accept changing attitudes about "needs". Happy "sailing". John Francis Pearson 26 Port Clinton, Ohio
> >
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
    electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment