Friday, May 21, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Quad battery chargers for a 48 volt bank

 

That makes sense. I do get a reading but it must be the one battery that the current sensor is connected to. I'll check to see if it changes as that battery's LED charge indicators change. I usually have one or two batteries that take a few more minutes of charging so I should be able to tell as that battery's charging changes.

Thanks, Mark

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@...> wrote:
>
> Mark,
>
> Because the Dual Pro acts like four separate 12V chargers, both charging leads are connected to each battery directly. The batteries are left connected in series, but are charged individually. So the incoming current is not passing through a single point. To accurately measure the charging current, you would need a hall sensor on each lead from the charger. Of course, those sensors would not read the current drawn from the whole battery bank, so data collected wouldn't be as useful as the information collected from whole bank monitor.
>
> Fair winds,
> Eric
> Marina del Rey, CA
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "acsarfkram" <acsarfkram@> wrote:
> >
> > Mike,
> >
> > I might not understand what you are talking about with regard to the PakTrakr not reading amps during charging with the Dual Pro. Mine does read amps in during charging.
> >
> > You have one battery bank, right? My thought/plan for extended range charging with my two bank system is to run on one bank, purely battery power. When that bank runs down switch to the other bank and start charging the depleted bank.
> >
> > I have not done this yet as I have always had more than enough range for my "local" needs.
> >
> > Mark
> > Santa Cruz CA
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Mike <biankablog@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Chris:
> > >
> > > ...I did find one rub in using the Dual Pro charger instead of the Zivan for charging the battery bank. Because the Dual Pro is connected directly to the individual batteries it will be bypassing the Xantrex current shunt and Paktrakkr current sensor. So I will really not know how many amps I will have put into the battery bank via the Dual Pro. But, it's not a big issue because keeping the batteries balanced is more important IMO.
> > >
> > > Capt. Mike
> > > http://biankablog.blogspot.com
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment