Monday, August 25, 2014

RE: [Electric Boats] Voltage drop underway

 

Try a few charges and discharges? They prefer use to idleness and may
bounce back at least to some extent.

Craig

=====

>Hi Brad,
>
>When the voltage drops like that, you are definitely dealing with an
>increase in resistance. It could be loose connections, but at 6
>years old, it more likely internal resistance inside the batteries.
>New batteries will likely cure your problems.
>
>
>
>Pat
>
>
>
>
>
>From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com]
>Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 11:24 AM
>To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [Electric Boats] Voltage drop underway
>
>
>
>
>
>Hi everyone,
>
>I have an electric yacht motor, driven by 8 Trojan T105 batteries,
>wired in series to produce 48Vdc. I have owned the system and the
>batteries for  6 years. I have noticed this year that I am getting
>really significant voltage drops while underway.
>
>
>
>I can see the motor controller display going from 48 down to 24 Vdc,
>all within an hour, under what I consider to be normal cruising
>conditions and amp draw.
>
>
>
>I guess there may be two problems.
>
>
>
>1) A resistance problem- maybe thermally induced ( but I don't think so)
>
>2) The lead acid batteries are crapping out on me.
>
>
>
>Has anyone had this experience? What should I do to determine if the
>batteries are due for replacement?
>
>
>
>please advise, Brad
>
>

__._,_.___

Posted by: Craig Carmichael <craig@saers.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment