Tuesday, August 5, 2014

[Electric Boats] Bristol 32 re-power

 

Hello All... New to the Group.

I have a 1976 Bristol 32 with a Yanmar 2QM20.  Boat is about 11,000 pounds. The motor is nearing the end of its life and I have been saving up for a re-power. I am a pretty mechanically skilled person want to do some of the work but have limited time. I have always felt that electric boats made so much sense on so many levels. I want to get in the boat and sail. Not mess with the engine every weekend.  I hate the smell, the noise, and the constant repairs.


We mostly do day sailing in the chesapeake bay and an electric motor seems ideal for me 95% of the time but I want a setup that would allow me to take longer rips when my kids get older. 


I am trying to put a budget together for an electric setup. Here is what I had in mind and would love any input or suggestions you could give. 


I would like a system that has a 3-5 hour range and have a small Honda generator as a backup for longer trips. I am on a budget and it seems that the AVG batteries are a good middle ground? 


I have looked at the kits from Elco (too expensive) and the one from Electric yachts. If there are any more affordable setups, please let me know!

Thanks!

Jason

__._,_.___

Posted by: jj@jasonburford.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Yahoo Groups
New feature! Create Photo Albums in Groups Effortlessly
Now, whenever you share photos with your group, a new album is automatically created in the Group. It's so simple! Try it now!


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment