Monday, August 18, 2014

[Electric Boats] Help with overheating motor, no load

 

As some of you know, I am in the process of replacing the old Atomic 4 in my sailboat with an electric motor. I still dont have the steel and hardware for the mount, but i have all the other components. I got everything hooked up just to make sure the motor would spin, and it seems to run pretty good in reverse, but in forward it only will turn over at maybe 400 rpm, it makes a lot of noise, and it overheats in seconds. I followed all the diagrams and stuff, but something is obviously wrong. Motor is a ME02010104201 brushless motor similar to the 0907. Controller is a Kelly KBL48301X, supply is 8 GC2 6v golf cart batteries in series for 48v. Motor is not mounted or coupled to anything and there was no load on it at all. Could the Hall sensors be out of order? Reverse polarity on them? It runs great in reverse, though. I double checked my wiring and I will triple and quadruple check it tomorrow. I have not done any configuration... All internal settings are still factory. I even took the fan guard off and checked the fan. No difference. I tried switching the motor leads but the way I had them is the only way it turns over at all. In any other order besides this way, it just cogs up and won't spin, so I obviously have them right. Controller has been shut down for 20 minutes now, and the motor is still uncomfortably warm to the touch. The motor supply cables got warm, too, so it was pulling a lot of current. Anybody have any idea what might be wrong? I do have another motor I could try but I would rather just screw up one of them at a time.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment