Monday, August 11, 2014

[Electric Boats] 7.5.kw 3 phase electric motors

 

Hi all
        The fact that I am asking a question in laymans terms is a clue that I have little knowledge of the subject and require responses in simple terms, "electrics for Dummys" if you wish. As a boatbuilder I am a mechanic, carpenter, fibreglass laminater, window installer etc etc. so give me some slack. I wish to drive my boat with 3 phase electric motors driven from generators. I calculate that motors between 7 and 8 kw would suffice, the boat is a 15 metre catamaran. I can purchase 11 kw diesel generators for approx $ 900.00 each which are fitted into their own soundproof box. I have been told that I need 3 times the kw to start an electric motor. This appears to be a fixed fact. Could I start the motors sequentially, using both generators power and manage reverse and forward manually ie. without stopping the motors therefore having 11kw to run each motor? I do not wish to use batteries as I want unrestricted (within reason) range. Have fun, look forward to your responses.
  Al. yacht "Zenataos" (Zen And The Art Of Sailing)


__._,_.___

Posted by: zenataos@yahoo.com.au
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Did you Know?
Learn all about uploading Files and notifying members


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment