Saturday, August 16, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] 7.5.kw 3 phase electric motors

 

the new electric outboards (like 2) are possibly sufficient to drive the Cat.


-----Original Message-----
From: Hannu Venermo gcode.fi@gmail.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sat, Aug 16, 2014 9:44 am
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] 7.5.kw 3 phase electric motors

 
There is no inrush current, with electronic drives like VFDs.

An 8 kW VFD drive (or servo drive, they are similar in function and
costs) will do a soft start, so the 3x start-up current will not be needed.
This also applies, in general, to all modern 3-phase stuff (maybe not an
electric cooktop) with motors.

So 11 kW gennys and 8 kW motors are a good combo.

Pls send a link to the 11 kW gennys for 900 $ ?
Where can I buy some.

On 12/08/2014 06:54, zenataos@yahoo.com.au [electricboats] wrote:
> Hi all
> The fact that I am asking a question in laymans terms is a
> clue that I have little knowledge of the subject and require responses
> in simple terms, "electrics for Dummys" if you wish. As a boatbuilder
> I am a mechanic, carpenter, fibreglass laminater, window installer etc
> etc. so give me some slack. I wish to drive my boat with 3 phase
> electric motors driven from generators. I calculate that motors
> between 7 and 8 kw would suffice, the boat is a 15 metre catamaran. I
> can purchase 11 kw diesel generators for approx $ 900.00 each which
> are fitted into their own soundproof box. I have been told that I need
> 3 times the kw to start an electric motor. This appears to be a fixed
> fact. Could I start the motors sequentially, using both generators
> power and manage reverse and forward manually ie. without stopping the
> motors therefore having 11kw to run each motor? I do not wish to use
> batteries as I want unrestricted (within reason) range. Have fun, look
> forward to your responses.
> Al. yacht "Zenataos" (Zen And The Art Of Sailing)

--
-hanermo (cnc designs)

__._,_.___

Posted by: "thbaldwin3@aol.com" <thbaldwin3@aol.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

Did you Know?
Learn all about uploading Files and notifying members


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment