Monday, August 25, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Voltage drop underway

 

Six years, sounds like you got good use for the pack.  Figure what you saved over gas cost and inconvenience in use, then maybe it is easier to figure the new battery pack base cost.  I do DEKA, and expect they will last as long, or also have Interstate types too, sounds like you have a good system to me.  Replace all as a unit of course, but check each one for load test,  while you have them now.  I had one battery in a 48 volt bank go bad and make the others look bad, so that might single out one potential bad battery in the bank.
 
Good Luck,  Cal
 
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 8:23 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Voltage drop underway
 
 

Hi everyone,

I have an electric yacht motor, driven by 8 Trojan T105 batteries, wired in series to produce 48Vdc. I have owned the system and the batteries for  6 years. I have noticed this year that I am getting really significant voltage drops while underway.


I can see the motor controller display going from 48 down to 24 Vdc, all within an hour, under what I consider to be normal cruising conditions and amp draw.


I guess there may be two problems.


1) A resistance problem- maybe thermally induced ( but I don't think so)

2) The lead acid batteries are crapping out on me.


Has anyone had this experience? What should I do to determine if the batteries are due for replacement?


please advise, Brad

__._,_.___

Posted by: "cal" <h20dragon@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment