Monday, February 17, 2014

[Electric Boats] Diesel Electric?

 

 

 

 

I recently purchased a Gulfstar 36 trawler.  It currently is powered by twin Perkins 4.236 engines, each with a nominal HP of 85.  One engine developed some, at this time, unknown problem which I will have diagnosed in the spring, if it ever arrivesL.

 

The hull is the same as their motorsailer and as such is easily driven.  Running on one engine and dragging the other prop, I time trialed it at an easy cruise of 6 knots and topped out at just over 7 (2 way, GPS).

 

My thought is to remove one engine and use the other as a generator to power twin electric motors and charge a good size battery bank.  The engines weigh in at around 1,000lbs each so, assuming lead acid and just balancing the single engine, I come up with a bank of approximately 1.5 KW. (sound right?).

 

I'm thinking that the electric motors should be rated for about 30hp continuous each at 48 volts (trying to keep below the ominous 50 volt mark).

 

The boat does not have a genset at this time but I will be adding AC/reverse air so would probably be adding one if I did not go to the proposed configuration. 

 

How will I use the boat: My partner is finally retiring this May and we plan to spend 3 months or so onboard each year while leisurely cruising the eastern US, possibly including the 'great loop'.  I am primarily a rag man and will keep the sailboat and use it for extended single handed trips as have been doing for the past few years.  I have a couple of 50 watt solar panels on meander and love them so plan on a good size bank for the trawler.

 

 

Please, any and all, jump in with thoughts, questions, suggestions, etc.

eric SV Meander/MV Meander TOO

 

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment