Sunday, July 22, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Finally had to do some real maintenance!

 

Hey Mike,

I think you meant 4 years of operation :-). Last year I greased the bearings on the motor shaft - that's been about it for the four years (6/2008) I've been using EP on Lotus Flower.

Do you have a spare belt? I got one last year just to be safe. It's still in the box but if I need it....

I also have found working around the motor to be pretty much a pleasure. Last time I hauled I removed the prop shaft to replace the cutless bearing and it was easy to unbolt the motor, lift it and slide the shaft forward.

Mark
Santa Cruz

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Mike <biankablog@...> wrote:
>
> Andrew:
>
> It was just standard 1/4" packing in the boats original stuffing box. Holding up very well and there is much less leakage than with the old diesel. I think this because there is so much less vibration with EP. Thought about dripless shaft seal but, did not want to make too many changes at once when I converted to EP five years ago. I'm thinking it might not be a good idea anyway since I currently plan on electro sailing most of the time and there might be more wear on the dripless flange than normal. Also don't like that the rubber bellows is all that really holds back the sea from entering the boat. 
>
> Capt. Mike
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: AJ Gilchrist <andrew@...>
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2012 10:19 AM
> Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Finally had to do some real maintenance!
>
>
>  
> Mike Nice report and pics
>
> do you use packing in the stuffing box or seals?
>
> I found the silicon rubber seals worked a treat in my hydro and
> stood up to high shaft rpm (7200) well
>
> Andrew Gilchrist
>
>
>
> On 22/07/2012 11:58 PM, Mike wrote:
>
>  
> >Well, five years after the install I finally had to do some real maintenance on my Thoosa 9000 system beyond the annual oil change of the Honda 2000 generator. Like everything else my propulsion system I found working on it was so much easier than almost anything I had to do to maintain the old diesel engine. In this case it was replacing the shaft coupling:
> > http://biankablog.blogspot.com/2012/07/easy-electric-boat-maintenance-part-one.html
> >
> >
> !
> >http://biankablog.blogspot.com/2012/07/easy-electric-boat-maintenance-part-two.html
> >
> >
> >
> >Capt. Mike
> >http://biankablog.blogspot.com
> >
> >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment