Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Electric Motor Components

 

Thanks for the reality check, but, i'm going to be a glass half full type of guy about this and see what I can come up with. Thanks.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Carter Quillen <twowheelinguy@...> wrote:
>
> Hello Adam,
>  
> While you have certainly come to the best place on the planet for invaluable free information about electric boats, from the sound of your email, you might want to seek some professional help because it sounds like you could be headed for the classic, "screw it up the first time by myself and then pay twice as much to get it fixed right" scenerio.
>  
> There are definitely a lot of parts and kits from places like thunderstruck, evdrives, and cloudelectric that look like they could save you a lot of money and actually can but installing one of these DIY systems is not for the faint at heart. If you don't have the min. skill set to do things like, say, change out the clutch on your car, fabricate small structural metal support components, and read electrical schematics good enough to troubleshoot simple household appliances with some success, then I wouldn't even consider going into an electric propulsion installation. And this is just the absolute minimum skill level for someone with excellent problem solving abilities, good manual dexterity, and a lot of perserverance. If you don't have this minimum, either find some friends that do or just hire a professional and pay more for a turnkey system.
>  
> That's just my advice, you can check out my own DIY installation of a kit from evdrives at http://www.archemedesproject.blogspot.com/. I'm a professional mechanical engineer with over 20 years of industrial experience and it took every thing I had, and then some, to build this system. But it was successful, and I definitely saved a lot of money.
>  
> Sorry in advance for all the sunset, landscape, and bird picks you'll have to thumb thru but it's my first mates blog so it's not just about the propulsion system. While I hav to compliment Evdrives which was very helpful in providing answers to my specific questions but most of the hard stuff I had to figure out on my own and you can't blame these vendors if you get stuck.
>  
> Good luck.
>  
>  
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: adam.riso <risoam@...>
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 8:21 PM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] Electric Motor Components
>
> Hello,
>
> I am new to the group. There seems to be a lot of great information on the group available but way over my head. I am in the planning stage of building a wooden 14' mini tug boat powered by an electric (golf cart) motor. The plans that I have go into motors, controllers, solenoids, etc. and I was hoping that someone would be able to simplify it and point me in the right direction as to what exactly are the components I need to purchase. One person who built a similar boat used: Advanced DC #A89-4001 Motor, 6HP/36-72VDC and a Curtis-PMC #1205-201 Motor Controller, 36-48VDC/350A but I really don't understand what that all means. I also have questions about what you use to give it more power (to increase the speed) or but it in reverse, etc. I appreciate any insight. Thank you! Adam
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment