Tuesday, July 17, 2012

RE: [Electric Boats] Electric Motor Components

 

Hi Adam,

I've got a Duffy 18. It's basically a floating golf cart. It uses a GE motor
and Curtis controller. VERY simple setup! My advice would be to find a used,
working golf cart for sale. Then you've got the motor, controller, fwd/rev
switch, speed potentiometer, wiring, battery cables and the most expensive
parts... the batteries! Make sure to check the batteries' specific gravity
if they are the flooded type (removable caps on top for adding distilled
water) so you know that they are in good condition (Google how to do this
and make sure you compensate for temperature). You'll see how it all comes
together on the cart and apply it to your tug. Try to find one that includes
the charger. You'll also want to get a de-sulfating maintainer to increase
battery life. A good one of these will tell you if you have good batteries.
Then part out the rest of the cart on eBay.

There's schematics and YouTube videos all over the net showing what you want
to do. Mostly people working with cars.

If you can build the boat, you certainly can add the electric running gear!
And make sure to leave room on the cabin top for solar panels later on down
the road.

While I'm at it... Any electric boaters on this list in the Detroit, MI
area?

Jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of adam.riso

Hello,

I am new to the group. There seems to be a lot of great information on the
group available but way over my head. I am in the planning stage of building
a wooden 14' mini tug boat powered by an electric (golf cart) motor. The
plans that I have go into motors, controllers, solenoids, etc. and I was
hoping that someone would be able to simplify it and point me in the right
direction as to what exactly are the components I need to purchase. One
person who built a similar boat used: Advanced DC #A89-4001 Motor,
6HP/36-72VDC and a Curtis-PMC #1205-201 Motor Controller, 36-48VDC/350A but
I really don't understand what that all means. I also have questions about
what you use to give it more power (to increase the speed) or but it in
reverse, etc. I appreciate any insight. Thank you! Adam

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment