Sunday, July 29, 2012

[Electric Boats] Re: Charging battery bank while underway..

 

Thanks Roland (and to the others who responded). It's good hear others have done similar things.

My dad and I are planning to build our boat over this winter/spring 2013. Will definitely post pictures and specs when finished.

Chris

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "rolandandgerry" <rolandrodriguez@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> Hey Chris,
>
> You can definitely charge underway. A lot of people use small generators such as the Honda eu2000i to supplement other charging sources such as solar/wind/prop regen while underway. Just a thought, depending on your budget a simpler solution to your needs might be one of the Torqueedo products. I use one for my dinghy and it would definitely push a boat of the size you're thinking well past the range you've got in mind. All up it weighs around 35lbs, lithium battery included, or get one of the models which are powered by your own batteries and then you can charge underway using the method of your choice and increase range with a larger battery bank as needed.
>
> Would love to hear how your project turns out.
>
> Regards,
>
> Roland
> s/v Miss Teak
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "cober_chris" <cober_chris@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks, I've posted this a couple of places, but I think I may have finally found a good forum for this question:
> >
> > I'm designing a small electric boat, because I like quiet slow cruising, and aim to use it in small Ontario lakes and the Trent Severn canal system. 18-20 feet long, 4 foot beam, for 4 or 5 people. Basically an oversized canoe, very light (less than 500 pounds including batteries, I hope).
> >
> > I was thinking that the easiest way to do the electric propulsion would be to use all off-the-shelf stuff from BassPro shops.
> >
> > Here is my plan right now:
> > - Minn Kota 24V trolling motor, maybe 80#
> > - 2 batteries (or 4 smaller ones if it made more sense, see below)
> > - Minn Kota onboard charger (2 or 4 bank, 15 amps per bank)
> >
> > What I'm looking for is a light boat (as few batteries as possible) with 2 or 3 hours of cruising time via the battery bank, with the ability to extend my range occasionally with a 1200 watt generator. Of course, I can charge at the dock/campsite/lock with an onboard charger and generator, but here's the question:
> >
> > Can I charge a single battery bank on-the-go, while using it? Say I want to keep going for most of the day, would it be possible to start the generator up on the water, and have it charge the batteries while I keep going? Or is that not a good idea?
> >
> > I'm thinking my boat would chug along ok on 500 watts (guessing), and a 2 bank charger can put about 400 watts back into the batteries in bulk charge mode. A 4 bank charger (15 amps x 4) would put over 800 watts into the batteries in bulk charge. That would certainly be enough to continue cruising with my canoe.
> >
> > I know there are also safety considerations, I'm thinking to install the generator in a sound-insulated box on the transom, with a blower for ventilation, and with grounding.
> >
> > Is this silly? I posted on one general boating forum, and the majority of responses were "get a gas outboard". Any ideas appreciated.
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment