Tuesday, July 24, 2012

[Electric Boats] Re: Charging battery bank while underway..

I started my experimentation in electric boating several years ago using a Minn Kota Endura 50 on an O'Day 19 sailboat. I used two banks of GC2 deep discharge batteries (total of 4 for $300) purchased at Sam's Club. The Endura 50 was adequate for the 1500 lbs boat to maneuver in sheltered waters. When I got my Capri 22, I moved the system over but found that the Endura 50 would not make the boat respond in any winds. We went back to a 5 hp Nissan gas outboard.

Two years ago I got a Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 tiller model. I was able to use the same GC2 batteries but now configured as one bank for 24 volts. The Torqeedo was equally as powerful as the Nissan outboard and easier to use for maneuvering. The batteries last for "a long time". The 210 amp-hour configuration has performed to the published data that Torqeedo has put on their website. It will go for 2 hours at full throttle — that is 6 knots hull speed for the Capri 22. We go that speed when we are late for the Wednesday evening races and other regattas (we always run late). We have also motor sailed around the Boston Harbor Islands when the wind was not to be found. That is 24 miles at 3 knots. I have set the throttle for a current draw for 20 amps or 10 amps depending on what we want to do.

This year I added a 100 watt solar panel with a MPPT charge booster (takes the nominal 12 vdc from the solar panel and produces nominal 24 vdc intelligent charge for the battery bank. The solar panel provides close to 10 amps in bright sunshine back into the batteries. The boat is on a mooring this year. The batteries have always been fully charged even when I have purposely drawn the batteries down.

I don't go out every day but the solar panel would allow me to cruise at 2-3 knots and barely draw any current from the batteries. I highly recommend using Torqeedo or other electric outboard rather than the trolling motors. The efficiencies are much better. The integrated battery of the Torqeedo Travel models and solar panel would make a very transportable system. The cost of the Travel models are just a little more than the trolling motors but will provide you with the overall performance like an equivalently sized gas outboard.

I still have the Minn Kota Endura 50. I use it occasionally for my dingy because I have it — but the Travel would be so much more convenient...

John

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment