Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Need Propeller Guru

 

I used Minn-Kota 101's on my British bilge keeler and the max speed was 4.5 mph at 60 amps.  Stock pitch is about 4 inches. Be very careful re amp draw if you change the prop because of overheating.  A 10x6 prop might give you the extra speed without overload.
Also MotorGuide 3 blade props can be cut to fit and give a bit more speed and far better reverse thrust than the 2 blade Minn-Kota props. Please advise re vendor of used 101's as I have a possible use for one as a thruster motor.
Thanks,
Dave 613-798-3454

--- On Tue, 10/5/10, alex <alex04032@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: alex <alex04032@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Need Propeller Guru
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Received: Tuesday, October 5, 2010, 10:02 PM

 

Hey guys, my boat is almost done and pics to follow, but Im expecting the props will need adjusting and Id like to deal with that before launch.

I rebuilt an 18ft daysailor, 1200-lbs totally loaded, with six golf-cart batteries driving two 36v Minn Kota 101-lb-thrust motors rated 50 amps each. I estimate that is 3hp total at the props. My calc's estimate that a hull speed of 6mph can be reached with 2hp. Thats my goal.

Here is the tricky part. I dont know the rpm or pitch of the Minn Kota 101. Its 9"d, I hear its 4"pitch, but I dont know that or the RPM.

Rumor has it that at full RPM and small slip, the max boat speed for Minn Kota is 3.5 mph. If so, I want to increase the prop pitch and maybe diameter, too, so that I can reach hull speed. I have RMS amp meters on each motor and PWM controllers so I expect to be able to keep an eye on the motor amps/heating.

Can anyone analyse the Minn Kota RPM and prop ? Im preparing to buy a couple used 10x9 props and fix them to Minn Kota hubs. Any feed back on how this might result ?

p.s. I can buy used salt water Minn Kota 101's (1.5hp) anytime, including PWM controllers for about $450... thats a real watts/dollar bargain.

Thank you !


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment