Monday, October 11, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Some photos uploaded

 

Looks good David. I just fitted the gear reducer on my project this weekend. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/photos/album/1837698165/pic/1922930997/view

Ebay had a couple of single axis joysticks used for mobile equipment that I just purchased so they should be here sometime this week. I may have to change out the pot but between them both I should be able to get something just right. Reverse, Off-center detent, Forward.
Other than batteries and a charger that should do it.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "goldsmithfoil" <suntreader@...> wrote:
>
> I just uploaded a couple of pictures of my MARS PMAC motor mated up to a Kanzaki transmission from the Yanmar 2QM removed from the boat. I cleaned up the transmission, painted it and used an aluminum plate to mount the motor to the bell housing in such a way that a spider coupler on the transmission input mates to the motor drive shaft.
>
> I have a Kelly controller and controls on order. I'm planning on installing it in a case mounted on top of the back of the gear box, so the whole drive is in one more or less self contained unit.
>
> My thinking in using the gearbox is it will be a very robust and reliable reduction gear and installation should be the same as any engine. I replaced the engine beds with similar but much shorter ones in the boat.
>
> I do have a question about efficiency. There is some effort in turning the transmission. I've been inside this type of gear box and its pretty much just two shafts with gears, nothing to it. The efficiency of mechanical gearboxes should be very high, in the 90% and up range, comparable to belt reduction, but the initial effort in turning the output shaft makes me wonder. Is it just that once the gears get running they are very efficient? Is there a fly wheel effect going on?
>
> I'll update with pictures of the controller installed and installation in the boat when the time comes.
>
> David
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment