Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] average energy consumption per day of a 44foot sailboat?

 

Thanks everyone for your expertise. I still have a lot of research to do.

Chris, How long does your 10kwh lithium propulsion pack last? The graph of your energy consumption shows that you need 5kw to go 5kt, so you can only go about 8miles max motoring?

I was looking at putting in 100kwh of lithium for the main drive pack into the bavaria, but I feel this is still useless unless I can top it off with solar and wind if the owner decides to take it out for a long cruise out in the ocean for a few days.

My thinking is the only way for the boat to match the same 210L of diesel's capability is to have a lot of solar and wind energy generation. I estimated about 3000W of solar panels and 2000W of wind will be needed, but it'll be very difficult to install everything in a nice package.

Only if he could trade his boat for a 50' Catamaran... Then I'll have plenty of room for solar panels.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, chris@... wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> I live aboard a 43 ft trimaran which almost totally green. I say
> almost because I have a small genset - a Honda 1kva for emergency use.
> I don't use it much and with batter planning (or perhaps more
> stubborness) I wouldn't have needed it so far.
>
> My usual power source is 500 watts of solar panels and on sunny days
> thats adequate but on overcast days it can be difficult to break even.
> I can get by with this but it would be better with a few hundred watts
> more capacity.
>
> My wind generator is not rigged at present and its other use as a
> towing generator has also not been rigged. So these two power sources
> have not been tapped lately.
>
> The engine battery pack is 10kwh of Lithiums, and the house pack is
> 2.4 kwh of lead acid. This is barely enough and I will soon be
> replacing the house batteries with the same weight (actually slightly
> less) of Lithiums for a capacity of 5 kwh. I will be wiring that up
> so I can use it at 48v as a "reserve tank" for the engine.
>
> The solar panels I use are Solara which can be walked on. Two of these
> are under the boom and although I rarely step on these panels,
> sometimes it does happen. They are mounted side-by-side and quite
> often one is shaded and one is in the sun. These panels are more
> expensive than the regular ones but I think they are great. They are
> only a few mm thick and so can be placed on deck around the boat with
> minumal disruption to deck use, and minimal windage.
>
> I see my boat as primarily a sailing boat and use the motor only
> sparingly. I had this perspective even when the boat was powered with
> a petrol outboard - so the impact on my usage of the boat has not
> changed much by converting to electric propulsion. But to address
> your comment about the 210 litre diesel tank... to hope that you'd be
> able to provide the same amount of motoring capacity as a full 210
> litre tank could be considered pie-in-the-sky. I suppose it could be
> technically possible, but practically very difficult.
>
> On the other hand it could be useful to think of how low does the tank
> get before its refilled? This could give you an idea of what is the
> usual capacity of the tank under normal use. For example if its
> regularly drained to say 1/4 full, say 50 litres, then this could be
> considered as your customer's idea of a suitable emergency capacity.
>
> I like to think of my battery pack as a very small fuel tank (probably
> its equivalent to around 20 litres or so) with a slow drip feed that
> keeps topping it up continously (say 0.5 litre per day).
>
> gotta go now. You can check out my boat at http://currentsunshine.com
> and I'm happy to give you more info about my experience with a
> (almost) totally green boat.
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris
>
> Quoting r1ck_r0ck_4_ever <r1ck_r0ck_4_ever@...>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm an electrical engineer who specializes in electric vehicle
> > designs. I was asked by a boat owner who wants to convert his 2007
> > Bavaria Vision 44 into electric powered with no compromise. He is
> > willing to go for the latest lithium, solar, and wind technology. He
> > basically want this boat to be 100% green with not a single drop of
> > fossil fuel needed.
> >
> > I am fairly knowledgeable with electric vehicles, but I am very new
> > to boating. What is the average energy consumption per day needed
> > for a 44foot sailboat? eg. It has a 210L diesel fuel tank. how long
> > does the 210L diesel fuel last usually? What is the energy needed to
> > propel it to a reasonable speed?
> >
> > the area under the main sail in the middle of the boat, can solar
> > panels go there or does the sailor needs to stand on that part?
> >
> > are there controllable pitch propellers for boats this size?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment