Sunday, March 21, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] ideas? electric motor conversion

 

You did not say what kind of boating you where wanting to do. 

For a similar sized boat I am considering  the Mastervolt SilentProp(10).  This is the most powerful motor I have found that still uses 48 volts,  Two of these would turn your boat into a slow (10 knots)  trawler. :-)     http://www.bellmann.nu/?lang=uk  Two of them would be the equivalent of re-powering with two 30 hp gas motors.  For a total max power of around 60 hp.  So you would go from a cabin curser to a slow trawler.  Which is fine by me.

You have other options if you don't mind very high voltage setups.  If you want to match the power of your current motors your should look in to a hybrid solution, with a powerful DC generator and large battery bank.  You would have very limited cruse time at anything over 5-6 knots if you try and just use batteries. A good site for High horse power motors is :     http://www.evcomponents.com/

Me I can't wait till my stinky loud 427's are out of the boat. Slow cursing  in silence!  


On Mar 21, 2010, at 10:07 AM, ccconstellation wrote:

 

I have a 1965 chris craft constellation 38 ft power boat that I want to convert to electric motors.
It is a V-drive with twin 327's One is currently working and the other one would have to be rebuilt. I want to take out the one that needs to be rebuilt and replace it with a electric motor. once its up and running, take out the other 327 and put in another electric motor.
Any ideas on what type of electric motor I should use? the boat weights about 9 tons. Taking out the 327's should lower that weight, depending on how many batteries I add. My boat also has a brand new 8 kw generator and a 30 amp battery charger. any suggestions or ideas would really help. thanks.


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment