Monday, March 8, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Go Fast Runabout

 

I was in the same place you are two years ago about this same time of the year.  I was lucky enough to find a PARSUN 4 HP electric "scracth and dent" sale from Mars Electric
.  Under 2k for motor and contoller.  Put that on my 15ft Grumann Aluminum  bass boat
power by 4x12v (48 v series) 160 amp/hr Crown batteries and I am good for just under 2 hours at full throttle at 5.4 MPH (GPS measured).  I can get 6 hours at half throttle 2.5 mph.  This with me, two additonal batteries and occaisionally my wife. This will be my third year on Liberty Reservior and this year I will get one of those land locked strippers.
 
best
 
Doug Walker
 
 
--- On Mon, 3/8/10, Thumper Smith <thumper.smith@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Thumper Smith <thumper.smith@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Go Fast Runabout
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, March 8, 2010, 12:27 PM

 
Thanks for the responses, but I don't see a solution. Two Torqeedos would probably do the trick, but not when the cost exceeds $7000 (not even 4k for my budget).

I could put a big electric motor as the head on an old outboard, but I want hours of run time, not minutes.Do I ask too much?

Thumper

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:02 AM, danbollinger <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com> wrote:
 
I looked at that video before buying my Torqeedo 301. I won't put my 14' john boat on plane, not even close. But then I didn't expect it to. My gandsons and I have a lot of fun with our little boat in the Wabash River.

In the video only the long, white boat is on plane. The other two are plowing or skimming. The 14' runabout comes close to get on plane, but not quite. Notice that the WL length is almost the length of the boat. When on plane that will be about half the length of the boat, plus the wake is all wrong. That doesn't mean that a stronger Torqeedo or a pair of them might not work just fine.

My gandsons and I have fun with our little boat in the Wabash River.

--- In electricboats@ yahoogroups. com, "Ed Bachmann" <edbz@...> wrote:
>
> How much fun are you looking for?
>
>
>
> Check out this video: http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=2gIACjevcRw
>
>
>
> Ed B
>
>
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>
>
> From: electricboats@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:electricboats@ yahoogroups. com]
> On Behalf Of Thumper Smith
>
>
>
> Greetings all,
>
>
>
> I have been lurking for several weeks and have come to appreciate the
> expertise and enthusiasm of the list.
>
>
>
> Today I began sanding the 1959 runabout I bought last fall and as I sanded I
> considered spending a couple thousand dollars to repower the thing. It came
> with an old 20 HP Johnson two stroke, which I really can't use in good
> conscience considering the 25:1 oil mixture (and really being a sailor, I
> can't put up with the noise). Of course electric propulsion is a
> consideration.
>
>
>
> I just looked at the Torqueedo site, thinking that would be a good turnkey
> solution. But alas, I want more than 8-10 HP to have a fun boat. I would
> appreciate any recommendations for powering a 14 foot fiberglass boat with
> at least enough power to get her up on plane. I don't shy away from a bit of
> tinkering.
>
>
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Thumper
>
> in Connecticut
>



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment