Tuesday, July 21, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 test comparision...

 

I don't know what you did or didn't do with that Minnkota, but your results are so strikingly at variance with than mine that I feel I have to comment. Using an Minnkota Endura 50 with a 12 VDC battery pack weighing 80 lbs,myself at 190lb in a 16 ft 250 lb flat bottomed skiff, I routinely do 4 mph. My Endura 30 pushes it to 3.6 mph.
BS

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "ravlegend" <ravlegend@...> wrote:
>
> These are the sea trail data collected from my recent 10' portabote excursion. Thought you guys may be interested also.
> I had to borrow an el cheapo GPS which gives out speed in KM (MPH in parathesis
> from my conversion). Don't know how accurate the GPS is, but at least the speed
> reading of each motor can be used for comparison.
>
> Some basic parameters:
> My weight + safety gears = 170#
> Wind speed - not noticeable
> Readings are taken to/from 2 areas in the water to neglect any variables caused
> by tide, current, full moon etc.
>
> Motor #1 - Minn Kota 55# Riptide trolling motor
> Motor Weight - 28#
> Battery weight - 30#
> Voltage - 19.6V (should be a 12V but wanted to test the higher RPM)
> Speed display- 4km (2.48mph)
> ***motor would cut off after a 20 sec. run or so, probably due to higher voltage
> protection in the controller)
>
> Motor #2 - Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 electric outboard
> Motor Weight - 40#
> Battery weight - 40#
> Voltage - 26.2V
> Speed display - 12KM (7.45mph)
>
> Motor #3 - 3.5HP Tohatsu 4 strokes (gasoline)
> Motor Weight - 41#
> Gas/can weight - 2#
> Max speed - 18km (11.18mph)
> ***acceleration went drastically from 8KM to 18KM once my body shift slightly to
> the front to plane the bote.
>
> Summary:
> I noticed a slight speed improving when lowering the trim - maybe a half or 3/4
> KM/h per trim position. Unfortunately the last trim position of the Torqeedo
> rubbed against the boat.
>
> Surprisingly (or maybe not so), the best speeds are achieved when the battery
> pack is placed all the way in the bow area. Basically as balanced as possible.
> I tested the battery pack placement from transom floor area to the next floor
> area, generally a gain of 1 KM per position. I wasn't able to put in more than
> 40# dead weight at the bow area when testing my Torqeedo (to counter my heavy
> bottom in the transom area). Would these additional counterweight make it go
> even faster? Seem counterintuitive. Any thoughts? Stay tune...
>
> Disclaimer - YMMV
>
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment