Sunday, July 26, 2009

[Electric Boats] 18' Hereschoff America Catboat Conversion

 

Hey everyone!

I have a formerly derelict catboat 18' with an 8' beam and outboard well in the cockpit that sailed like crap. I've sailed since I was a little kid and know crappy sailboats when I try to sail them. I decided years ago that I'd convert to electric cocktail launch. I got 6.2MPH GPS with a 5 hp gas outboard last month. I drydocked, cut out the cockpit seats, removed the cabin top and 450 lbs of lead ballast bricks around the centerboard trunk. I took pics that I'll post before and after so you can see what I've done so far and I want some real input from the knowledgeable members (and everyone else!) on the different ways to power this boat to the 6.2 max speed range electrically.

The boat with sail rigging was 2,600lbs. Minus the cabin, mast, large rudder, probably centerboard and ballast I'm figuring about 1,900lbs. The waterline will be different, of course, before batteries etc.

I've got the guts to try the Glen-L outboard bottom conversion that no one else seems to like if I can get it to spin 360 degrees aka bumpercars. I'm able to move in any direction in super tight quarters with the present outboard when I spin it in the well. It's almost rediculous but very useful due to the 18" draft.

Give me some help without too much techno - poo and I'd love to try the best approach. I'm open to ideas that don't kill my bank account and I've done enough boatwork in the past that nothing should be too much of a challenge.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin the Dumb and Bold

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment