Tuesday, July 28, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Torqeedo prop on Minnkota 30?

 

It is a MinnKota Endura 30.

The prop that worked best was a Motorguide Tour Series Machete III Tabered Hub 3-Blade Propeller Kit MGA089G.

I belt sanded the motor end of the hub until it it would fit the MinnKota.

To turn down the OD of the prop, I mounted a 3/8 bolt vertically in a large vise and stuck the prop on the bolt. I then positioned an electric drill with a cylindrical wood rasp vertically alongside in a smaller vise, at the necesary distance to trim a small amount from the ends of the blades. I turned the drill on and rotated the blades by hand through the rotating rasp. The rasp burns through the blades, which are nylon I believe, with ease. You can clean up the blade ends with coarse sandpaper or a wood rasp afterwards.

Because I have a canal in back of my house, it was easy to put the prop on the motor and the motor on the boat for a GPS run after removing each increment. I stopped cutting when the last increment removed didn't make any difference.

I'll see if I can post a couple of pics.

John Casperson

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "nsimms" <nsimms@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the reply, John.
>
> Not sure I understand what you mean when you say "turning it down about 1/8 inch at a time until you quit gaining speed." Also, what size/model three blade prop?
>
> Are you using a Minn Kota 30?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Neil
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "john_casperson" <john_casperson@> wrote:
> >
> > Fairing the downshaft will help.
> > Installing an anticavitation plate coupled with running the motor shallower will help.
> > Installing a three blade prop and turning it down about 1/8 inch at a time until you quit gaining speed will help.
> > My Prindle 16 achieves 4.3 mph by GPS with these changes.
> >
> > John Casperson
> >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Fashion News

What's the word on

fashion and style?

Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Yahoo! Groups

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Discover auto groups

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment