Sunday, July 26, 2009

RE: [Electric Boats] Boston Whaler Project

 

Miles,

Thank you for your contribution, but I think you probably meant $1.10 per
watt-hour, not amp-hour, which is pricing I have seen for lithium power
previously for larger modules. To confirm this, I checked out the site you
listed and found that the listed batteries run about $54 per amp-hour (at
14.8 volts) or $3.60 per watt-hour! Also, these are smaller modules more
suitable for toys, methinks. Am I missing something?

My requirements are for 7.2 kilowatt-hours (36 volts X 200 amp-hours) or
thereabouts. Even at $1.10 per watt-hour, that would put lithium at about
$8,000 which is beyond the budget of this project and the safety concerns of
lithium also work against them. I have personally witnessed a
lithium-powered electric car go up in a ball of fire, literally nothing left
after the firefighters tried to put it out, and even scorched two vehicles
parked nearby. This is not to say I'm not impressed by lithium, I just
don't think that it is the right answer for this particular e-boat project.

Monte

I guess if it were me and cost wasn't as important as space/weight savings,
I'd jump on one of the many bulk orders of LiFeP batteries from China going
on these days.

Typical price per cell: $1.10/ah

So, assuming you need 36v and 200ah, you'd want 11-cells at say 240ah
capacity. That'd cost you 240*1.1*11, or $2864 plus BMS (e.g. here:
http://www.tppacks. <http://www.tppacks.com/products.asp?cat=26>
com/products.asp?cat=26 ), charger, shipping,
installation.

-MylesT

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Get it all here

Breaking news to

entertainment news

Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Yahoo! Groups

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Discover Car Groups

Auto Enthusiast Zone

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment