Saturday, July 25, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Torqeedo prop on Minnkota 30?

 

Hi Neil,

I put a Torqeedo prop on a 109# thrust Motorguide. The problem is that the props are pitched opposite and my Motorguide had more thrust in forward than reverse. I tried to switch the wires to change forward and reverse but the thrust stayed the same. The prop definitely accelerated more quickly and smoother than both the Motorguide and Kipawa but I couldn't get top speed.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "nsimms" <nsimms@...> wrote:
>
> Anybody tried adapting a Torqeedo "12 in. x 10 in. variable-pitch-variable-camber (VPVC) propeller" to a trolling motor? I've got a Minnkota 30 here that performs in a mediocre fashion with its standard high thrust prop on a 2 man 17' kayak, or a 17' Harpoon 5.2 sailboat, and only marginally better with a Kipawa prop. Assuming it could be adapted mechanically, I guess the issue would be the motor designed for high rpm, high thrust being used in a lower rpm application. Might be interesting to try, though! (If I could get 1/2 to 1 mph more at same amp rate without burning out the trolling motor I'd consider it a worthwhile improvement for the $75 prop cost.)
>
> Neil S.
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment