Wednesday, July 29, 2009

[Electric Boats] Trolling Motors

 

Question for you all:

I know that one of the limitation of trolling motors for primary power is
the top end speed. They are designed to move a heavy boat, but not
particularly fast.

It seems a 12volt system, regardless of lbs thrust (30-50 lbs), tops out at
about 3.5knots, even with a slippery hull like a kayak or canoe. The 24
volt and 36 volt versions are rated for much more thrust (~80 & ~`105)
respectively, but with the same prop. Logic tells me the only way to get
more thrust from the same prop is to spin it faster, which would lead me to
believe a 24 or 36 volt system would move a boat (with a slippery hull)
faster.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this? The reason I ask is
that motorguide now has a varimax motor rated at 70lbs, with digital control
for under $350. It seems a pair of these would move a 16' hull (Launch
style) fairly well for a lot less money than a torqueedo, plus twin screws
would just be cool. I'm thinking something like devlins Godzilli for the
kids to play in, and me to go fishing in. Top speed of 5knots, cruise at 4?
Fish all day at 2-3.

Since in practice I'd only log 100 hours a season (on the high side) I'm not
worried about overtaxing (I know it's not designed for primary propulsion).

Kevin

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment