Friday, October 6, 2023

Re: [electricboats] Outboard Sizing Help Needed

I've played with electric outboards a little bit.

One experiment was using a 48V Torqeedo on a Catalina 22 (compared to your boat, a little longer, maybe about the same weight?).    From my notes, I was able to do about 6.3mph at 3300 watts (wide open throttle), with 4 AGM 12V batteries.   For 3300 watts, to go 20 miles (round trip of your rounded up 10 miles), you should plan for at least 200Ah of battery.  If you don't use lithium, you will need to plan twice as much for lead's 50% depth of discharge.

The 24V Torqeedo did a fine job of pushing the Catalina 22, but max speed was only about 4.5mph - and that was at close to 2000W.

I agree with the comment that the Torqeedo's seem very high priced.  I'm also reluctant to leave such an expensive motor in salt water!

For my 10' West Marine RIB dinghy, I did an experiment with a 48V Hangkai against a 24V (not 48V) Torqeedo.
Note that a 10' RIB dinghy is not as svelt as a sailboat!!!
The 24V Torqeedo could only push the dinghy to 4.3 knots at 1200W (47.5A, 24.8V).
The 48V Hangkai pushed the dinghy to a very modest 3.4 knots at 1000W (17.6A, 56.6V)

My experience so far has been that the Torqeedo is a MUCH more robust outboard, and seems to put out a lot more thrust - largely due to the much larger prop.

The 48V 1000W Hangkai is a "cute little motor" for puttering around in the dinghy.  You won't go anywhere fast!   But it will easily run 2 hours on a 60AH 48V ebike battery, and at $350 - it's cheaper than the ebike battery!   Motors will die, especially in the salt environment I'm in.   I'll be feel a LOT better about replacing a $350 Hangkai than a $4000 Torqeedo.   But it won't push you to 6mph.

Good luck!
John


On Friday, October 6, 2023 at 08:30:27 PM CDT, Kelly R. <kelly@skraye.com> wrote:


I am back with more questions for the group.
As you may recall I did this build, https://groups.io/g/electricboats/message/31909 with your help and wanted to let you know that this system is still working great. 

Now for the electric outboard idea/question.
The boat is used for fishing on the Potomac River utilizing the 1997 150 HP 2 stroke (that left me stranded the other day for the first time) and it is also used in some electric-only lakes utilizing the 36-volt trolling motor (thread above). Being stranded the other day was not a great feeling and I was too far away from the marina to get home with the trolling motor and battery setup I have. This got me thinking... an electric outboard could serve as an emergency kicker motor and allow me to venture further into the electric-only lakes. 

Distance: on Google Maps I plotted out a distance from my furthest fishing point back to the marina I frequent. I ended up with approx 8 miles, let's round that up to 10 miles. 
Speed: my 36-volt trolling motor pulls me along at an average speed of 3.5 MPH according to my GPS...  If I could get 6 MPH that would be great but distance is more important than speed for a self-rescue. 
Boat specs: Hull Material: Fiberglass, Beam: 7'7", Length: 20', Net Weight: 2250 lbs.

I think a 48-volt setup would be better than 36 volt but I am open to all suggestions. If I go 48 volts then eventually I could replace my trolling motor with a 48-volt setup and have maybe 30 or 40 extra Ah of capacity in an emergency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment