Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Re: [electricboats] Advice for electric conversion

When I yanked my diesels out of my cat, I was planning on belting the electric motor to the shaft of the sail drive gearbox. After some thought, I pulled out the sail drives, glassed over the holes and installed straight shafts. But I also considered doing exactly what you’re thinking of - mounting the motors vertically and married to the shaft of the sail drives. 


you may wish to consider using pulleys and a belt to the vertical shaft? That way you can deal with whatever reduction ratio you need and make your life a lot simpler. 


my guess is you can pull the gear box off the sail drive. You’ll need to fabricate a plate with the shaft poking out over the top to contain oil. The motor can then be mounted forward of the drive, either inverted (preferable for access to the belt) or vertical. 


the shop manual for the drive should give you enough info to do the job?

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#32419) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment