Saturday, October 28, 2023

Re: [electricboats] Need 48v 200A for Electrictyacht 10kW motor, should 1 get 4 x NPP12V 200Ah Li or 2 Dakota 48V 96Ah?

Why do you need to remove the batteries from the boat for winter storage?  I have a 48V 280AH battery that I built from prismatic cells (cost about $2,700 including BMS).  I have left it on the boat at about 90% charge for three seasons now here in NE Ohio with no charging.  Voltage drop over the winter last season was about 0.005 volts which is likely actually below the capacity of the Victron meter to accurately measure.    I don't think winter removal is necessary. 

http://dan.pfeiffer.net/10m/electric_drive_battery.htm

Dan Pfeiffer


On 2023-10-28 1:14 pm, THOMAS VANDERMEULEN wrote:

David,
You're installing batteries in a 27-foot boat, so I assume your physical space is limited.  That's certainly what I found repowering our 27-foot Cape Dory.  Living and sailing in Michigan gave rise in our case to another consideration, that may or may not apply to you, in that we want to be able to remove the batteries from the boat seasonally for storage.  The thought of building and rebuilding a full 16-cell (I use prismatics) battery back every spring and fall wasn't appealing.  In addition, the access to the motor space where I needed to install the batteries was through a narrow space behind my companionway ladder.  Maneuvering an all-in-one unit that weighs over 200 lbs, and measuring over 30"x15"x12" high, thru the narrow opening seemd an impossible feat.  So I built four 12-volt banks, but used waterproof connecters from each bank to a BMS that monitors, contols, and balances the whole assembled traction battery..
Obviously, if your sailing ground is temperate year round, and leaving the batteries on the boat is not an issue, nor is access to the installation space, then probably none of the above applies to you!
Good luck!
[-tv]

No comments:

Post a Comment