Friday, October 6, 2023

Re: [electricboats] Advice for electric conversion

Hi Marcel,
I did this part back in early 2014 and am answering from memory. When I got the old motor out I found out the SD input shaft had a fairly well known issue of the splines being worn out. I got a new input shaft and gear and the machine shop boarded out a standard shaft coupling to go on the new shaft. I got a standard matching coupling for the AC 34 motor shaft. I also installed a "drive saver" flexible coupling between the ridged shaft couplings. I then took a ton of measurements  and drew up an aluminum bracket with lots of possible adjustment  that I could bolt to the original VP motor mounts. I had end plates made to bolt to the motor that had ears to drill and bolt to the large bracket. The motor mounts had some side to side movement and the motor end plate ears allowed fore, aft and vertical adjustment. I was able to align the two shaft couplings to within 2 thousandths which I figured with the drive saver in place was more than sufficient. This alignment did take almost a full day but I felt good about it when done. Since I've now got a couple hundred hours on it, it must be okay.

If I had it to do over again I would probably put a belt sheave on both shafts and make the mounting a bit easier. I would also figure out how to remove the clutches and reduction gearing inside the transmission and be able to use both forward and reverse directly from the electric motor. 
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ric
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#32448) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment