Monday, October 9, 2023

Re: [electricboats] a couple of questions

I agree with this.  I have left my battery (48V LiFePo4, 280AH) on the boat stored outside for the winter in NE Ohio.  Last season they were at something like 53.25 volts when I put the boat way and 53.24V in spring after 6 months of no inputs or outputs.    Rock solid.  I have a Victron 712 monitor with Bluetooth and I would just drive by the boat and check the condition from my phone without getting out of my car.

My battery is made from prismatic cells and was assembled in place on the boat.  Removing it from the boat is not practical and would require disassembly.  That is likely to cause more wear and tear and more potential damage just from messing with it.  Te whole unit is about 200 lbs and it would not be practical to lift it out for winter storage.  And I don't think there i a need so long as it is not being charged in freezing conditions.  And there is no need to trickle charge these batteries if there is no load on them. 


FYI on the Pearson 10M, make sure the keel is blocked properly.  The aft section is a fiberglass fairing and can be damaged from improper blocking. 
http://dan.pfeiffer.net/10m/keel_block.gif


Dan Pfeiffer


On 2023-10-09 11:24 am, greenpjs04 wrote:

Hi Scott,

Regarding your question 1, there is nothing wrong with storing your batteries in your basement.  However, I do not believe you have to do that.  From what I have read, you are not supposed to CHARGE the batteries in freezing temperatures, but it is OK to STORE them at those temperatures.  Mine have been fine here in northern Ohio.

Note that I am NOT an expert, so those who know better, feel free to correct me.

 

Pat

 

 

From: electricboats@groups.io On Behalf Of Scott E Erdman via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 9, 2023 11:43 AM
To: electricboats@groups.io
Subject: [electricboats] a couple of questions

 

I'm looking at buying a Pearson 10M that has been fitted with a Thunderstruck 10k and bank of 4 lithium battery packs for 196 AH 48V. All that checks out and fits fine with my needs and wants for the boat. The current owner did the install and it looks good. A couple of questions based on my reading:

 

  1. The boat will get stored somewhere around Lake Ontario outdoors over the winter. From what I read, it is best to store the batteries somewhere so they don't get subjected to sub zero temps so I plan to just pull them and put them in my basement over the winter. Also it seems it is best to have them somewhere around 80% capacity – i.e. not full charge.

 

  1. Looking for tips on keeping the batteries safe while sailing – they are installed well under the starboard cockpit seat and rear quarterberth area. I don't plan to sail in extreme weather and the area looked perfectly dry when I checked the boat out in the marina and out for a short sail in very very light breeze. Just wondering what sort of precautions aside from securing them very well people take to make sure the cells are never exposed to water. Basically this is a question asking, assuming it is well installed, are there some upgrades or best practices about insulating the connectors and such that can help further reduce issues that could be encountered – this is the nightmare scenario of a fire starting.

 

Thanks,

Scott

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment